HEY PALS!! sorry for the delayed post. My birthdaii was on Wednesday and I was celebrating with fam and frands all week. I was going to bake myself a cake and decorate it all crazy and such but I figured posting a recipe would be much easier than trying to walk y’all through decorating a cake. (LMK IF U WANNA SEE THAT THO!!)
So, since I was going for the birthday theme, I made some birthday cake brownies. It’s like a combination of a brownie, cake, and a blondie. So basically, it’s guaranteed to be a party pleaser.
Since there are layers to these brownies just like there are layers to Shrek, you will need a few different items as seen below:
So I know the recipe says to line the pan with parchment paper, BUT… I totally spaced and forgot to do it and they still came out of the pan perfectly. Just use an ample amount of cooking spray or butter to grease up the pan of your choosing.
When you melt the butter, you want to make sure you let it cool before adding the egg. I kid you not, it will cook and you’ll have egg flavored birthday cake brownies. Nobody wants that crap.
Butter is cool? Nice. Add the egg, brown sugar, and vanilla.
After you have that mixed up real good, add the flour and other white powders. No… not that kind..
Time for the mixins!! I was unsure about the white chocolate chips, but they’re actually perfect. Like oh my gosh. They add a buttery, creamy, delicious taste to the cake layers. Trust me on this one.
Okay, so now you have the cake layer done. (It took you long enough. Jeez.) pour half of it into your lined, greased pan and set it aside.
You can now start the brownie layer. Put the sugar, cocoa powder, butter, and vanilla in a microwaveable bowl and microwave it until the butter is melted.
Stir everything together until there are no lumps and bumps. It should look kind of grainy from the sugar.
Add the flour and egg and mix it up again.
Spread the brownie on top of the first layer of cake batter. I’m not kidding… I thought this part would be so much easier, but the brownie is super thick and wanted to swirl with the cake layer. That’s not an issue by any means, but I wanted more of a divided look. Once you have your desired layering, pour the rest of the batter on top and smooth it out with a spoon, spatula, stick, or your finger. Whateva you want. Then sprinkle the left over sprinkles on top!!
These brownies know how to party. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!!!! Keep the requests coming (even if it’s not dessert.) I’d love to remake your fave dish gluten free.
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 large egg
1 cup light brown sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt (about 1/8 tsp)
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ cup white chocolate chips
¼ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
¼ cup rainbow sprinkles, plus more for topping
5 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
¼ tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg, cold
Pinch of salt
Pinch of baking powder
¼ cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8”x8” pan with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cake layers: In a large microwavable bowl, melt the butter and then let cool. Mix in the egg, brown sugar, and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined. Fold in the white and semi-sweet chocolate chips and ¼ cup of sprinkles.
- Pour half the batter into the lined pan and smooth it out with a spatula or a spoon. Set the other half of the batter aside.
- Brownie Layer: in a medium microwavable bowl, combine 5 TBSP of butter, ½ cup of granulated sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Heat on high for 45 seconds or until the butter is completely melted. Mix everything together. Add the egg and stir until the mixture is well blended and thick. Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix until incorporated. Do not overmix!
- Pour the brownie layer over the cake layer and carefully smooth it out with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula. Pour the remaining cake batter over the top and smooth again. Top with the additional sprinkled.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out almost clean.
- Let the brownies cool completely before cutting.
The full recipe for the Birthday Cake Brownies is even better when saved to your computer!!!